Thursday, January 29, 2009

Weekend Concert Calendar, 1/29/09

So...

This is pretty weird, but I can find almost no choral concerts in Boston this weekend. I mean, there is an almost freakish lack of choral concerts. Does this weekend have some sort of choral pall over it? Even Schola Cantorum (with whom I'm singing) was supposed to have concerts this weekend, but had to reschedule for next weekend because of a dearth of tenors. Well, I can't figure out what those tenors might be doing, because NOTHING is going on, choral-wise. There are a number of fine concerts going on, so there should be plenty to do, but there's not much for me to report on.

Here's what I got:

Sunday:

At 4:00, the Choir of St. Mary, St. Catherine of Siena Parish in Charlestown, MA will give a choral concert under the direction of Leonardo Ciampa. This will be at the St. Mary - St. Catherine of Siena Parish, 55 Warren St., Charlestown.

See what I mean? That's all I got! Comment if you know of any other choral concerts, please!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    I think it has to do with Super Bowl weekend. The ensemble I used to work for certainly scheduled its winter concert with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous:

    Aha! Thank you. That is a very smart explanation, and not one I ever would have come up with on my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm skeptical but it pains me, as a soccer fan, to admit that the 2008 European Championships affected museum and opera attendance in Vienna and Zurich.
    Euro 2008 hurting audience numbers, says Vienna State Opera
    In battle for Vienna: Soccer 1, Culture 0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course,many musicians also like sports. Maybe the performers wanted to stay home or go to Super Bowl parties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Terry:

    That's probably a good point - in the larger choruses I've sung with, there would have been a good deal of complaining, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course one could combine these genres by watching the Super Bowl and listing to, say, Richard Wagner. My choice would be What's Opera, Doc?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, as a conductor you might prefer Long-Haired Hare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Terry:

    Wow, how cool is it that that stuff is on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete