Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Job-hunting: a query

Dear all other conductors in the world,

When you are asked for professional references, who do you list? Often, if you are (for example) the music director at a church, you are the top potato where music is concerned. Who do you cite when you want someone to be able to talk about your conducting skills?

I already somewhat know the answer to this - ask the minister; ask the president of the board of your community choir; ask old professors or if you have been someone's assistant, ask them; but I would like to know what other people have done in the past. A lot of the choirs I've conducted I have founded myself, and they didn't have boards. Or, in one case, a friend who's a composer asked me to conduct a recording session; is it kosher to have close friends give references?

Discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment