Calling all singing women!
Libana is a professional Boston-based group of women who sing world music. If you went to the Revels this year, you heard them singing Balkan music, which is one of their core repertoires. Their founder and artistic director, Susan Robbins, is offering an 8-week course this winter called The Art of Group Singing. It will be on Tuesday nights, January 22 through March 25th. The class will primarily explore Balkan and Persian singing traditions. For more information, call (617) 628-0916 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. This is for women only. Below is a quote from the e-mail (I'm on their mailing list) with some of the goals of the workshop.
* how to use your voice in healthy ways
* how to find the power in your voice in an opening and non-pushing way
* how to open expressively within these styles
* how to open to the exhilaration and vibrancy of ensemble singing in non-western vocal production
* great songs from other parts of the world!
As I previously mentioned, if one of your goals for the new year is to sing more, here you go!