Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday links - the Russian version

There is an interesting article in the Boston Globe today about Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, which the BSO is performing at Tanglewood this coming weekend (and which I am going to see!) I find the last quote in the article by the composer resonates with me quite a lot, and so I hope that means that I will enjoy the opera!

I also heard an interesting bit today on NPR about Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet. A manuscript has been discovered in Russia that has an earlier version of the score than the familiar version of the ballet we know, and is the pre-Soviet-censors version. Lloyd Schwartz, the classical commentator for Fresh Air, has some interesting things to say about it. Mark Morris choreographed a performance to the newly discovered music, which premiered at Bard College earlier this month. The NPR clip is about seven minutes long.

No comments:

Post a Comment