Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weekend Concert Calendar, 1/20/11

I am in Texas this weekend (or, at the time I write this, I am hoping I can get to Texas given the snowy forecast) for Convivium's FOUR, count 'em, four different early music concerts this weekend. (Lassus, Victoria, Bach, Josquin.) But for you who are stuck here in our not-as-fair-as-in-warmer-months-city, here are some suggestions.

Friday: I have nothing for Friday. Surely this isn't possible! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Saturday: I think my pick for Saturday is Voices Rising. You have two opportunities to hear them this day; they are performing at 3 pm in Needham, and 7:30 pm at First Church in Boston. This program, called "The Spirit Moves Her," features (and I quote from their website): "works by women composers Libby Larsen and Naomi Stephan and highlights choral settings of women’s texts, including the ideas of 12th-century visionary Hildegard von Bingen, the teachings of Mother Teresa and the contemporary poetry of Catherine de Vinck. From reverent Psalm to rousing Spiritual, from veneration to indignation, from praise to prayer, this concert explores the many dimensions of spirituality from a uniquely female perspective." I can get behind that!

Also on Saturday: Acton Community Chorus, Convivium Musicum, Exsultemus, Halalisa Singers.

Sunday: Go to the King's Chapel Concert Series! I am really sorry I won't be in town for this one. In honor of the church's 325th anniversary (wow) the King's Chapel Choir will be performing four world premieres, by Carson Cooman, James Woodman, David Carney, and Heinrich Christiansen (the music director.) They will also be singing works by local boys Billings and Pinkham. At 5 pm at King's Chapel, 58 Tremont Street, Boston. (These concerts are never particularly long, but always particularly excellent!)

Also on Sunday:
Convivium Musicum, Halalisa Singers.

Did I miss anything? Leave it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment